PLOIESTI DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY 2007-2025
Data Adaugarii: 2009-05-09
PLOIESTI DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY 2007-2025
1. Context and Objective of the Document
The economy of cities is directed to a time of information and high technology industries. Ploiesti, holder of a technological infrastructure, will experiment in the next years an increase of the investment interest. The population of the city reflects both stability and change. Stability is provided by the continuation of the university tradition that will reinforce the professional profile of technological research. Change is generated by the need to answer the demand of an aging population.
The coordination of resources with the community needs requires the formulation of a strategy providing means for the future development and ensuring the cooperation of public and private actors' initiatives and interventions. This document is elaborated according to the National Strategic Reference Framework, the Regional Development Plan 2007 - 2013 - Region 3 - South Muntenia, and the EU practice related to structural funds financing. It is also based on the consultation and coordination with the Local Council and Ploiesti municipality, as well as other public organizations involved in the development process.
The report represents the development strategy of Ploiesti, including management key aspects, vision, strategic development objectives and the package of policies, programs and projects. The list of projects was presented to the representatives of municipal departments, in order to establish the projects priorities based on the territorial problems and on the budget prognosis made within the study for establishing the co-financing capacity for these projects.
The city development strategy is based on three pillars, supported in their turn by the EU operational programs:
- - Competitiveness to reinforce the non polluting local economy and with an increased added value;
- - Social and territorial cohesion to ensure the equal access to urban infrastructure of services and utilities;
- - Civism, to ensure a partnership with the community, from the formulation to the implementation of the public decision.
2. Document Structure
The document is structured according to the methodological steps, including the following chapters:
- Rapid appraisal of the existing conditions;
- Vision and strategic objectives;
- Polices - programs - projects
- Strategy implementation and monitoring
3. Development Vision PLOIEŞTI 2007-2025:
Knowledge - a new ENERGY!
How is Ploiesti identified today? Why is it valuable?
The city is known as a technological civilization. A natural resource has generated the necessary energy to develop a technological infrastructure related to oil extraction and processing. The management of this infrastructure and of its environmental implications has required the creation and development of a university infrastructure.
Ploieşti is continuously changing. The local market increases and diversifies the demand of services the city is offering. The life standards the market requires become comparable to those of the EU. The investments interest increases as well, the same way as the regional competition for attracting economic activities.
In front of the development opportunities, Ploieşti must be more than a place where people live and work, it must become a brand. Building this brand requires the definition of the city profile, and its repositioning on the regional urban market.
The development vision formulation represents the difference between what Ploieşti is today and what it must become by redefining Ploieşti "reason to be" in a competitive environment.
For the period 2007-2025, the existing infrastructure supports the community orientation to permanent knowledge and performance, as a form of adapting to the challenges of technological competition.
Ploieşti has created the necessary energy for development, starting from the natural resources. Nowadays, the consolidation of a knowledge and performance oriented community represents the necessary energy for its future development.
Ploieşti development vision for the period 2007-2025 includes the engagement of a crucial strategic resource, the inhabitants, the business and university community, in the direction of consolidating Ploieşti reputation on the market of research, and carrying out of advanced non polluting technologies.
New business location will make it possible to overrun the obstacles to the development of the local economy. The opportunities of added value jobs represent the certainty of an attractive and competitive labour market functioning. A mature economy will finally support the social cohesion of Ploieşti citizens.
4. Development Strategic Objectives
Ploieşti is able to attract companies and investors, to increase accessibility /mobility and to provide a partnership framework for administration, businesses and universities.
Strategic Objective no. 1:
Ploieşti, a competitive city: maximizing the development opportunities of research, urban infrastructure and technology.
Ploieşti is able to increase the life quality standards, to maintain a quality-price balance for public services and utilities, reducing the disparities among citizens and neighborhoods.
Strategic Goal no 2:
Ploieşti, an affordable city: ensuring the access of all citizens to the city utilities
5. Policies - Programs -Projects
The spatial development policies of Poieşti anticipate and guide the immediate investments interest along the TEN IV corridor, and in the periurban territory, by making use, during 2007-2015, of the existing competitive factors, as socio - economic development basis of the city for the period 2016-2025. The city of Ploiesti will experience an economic development, where the private sector will have a dominant role. This involvement will have positive effects in employment development, and in the income level of a significant percentage of the local labor force.
To avoid the costs of an uncontrolled development, the municipality will guide, facilitate and monitor the implementation of investments co-financed by the financial instruments of the European Union. For the period 2007-2015, the development scenario contains the package of public policies at a local level, focused on economic and social cohesion and on the efficiency of the investments effects redistribution. This scenario requires urban integrated projects, to ensure for Ploieşti inhabitants the certainty of urban infrastructure development/rehabilitation - roads, water supply, sewerage, public services in the education, health and social field.
The development scenario for the period 2016-2025 focuses on competitiveness. The local expenditures will increase and will address the maintenance of capital investments created in the 2007-2015 stage. The new capital investments will focus on the less developed, but competitive, areas, which will generate income. The aggregate of the local policies will be directed to the research - development and strategic external accessibility field, in coordination with the existing resources. This scenario requires integrated urban projects of central area revitalization, and of introduction on the market of cleaned/ de-polluted industrial lands.
The major development directions of Ploiesti municipality will be highly influenced in the period 2007-2025 by the following four classes of capital investments, carried out at the level of urban infrastructure:
1. Priority execution of the road passage over the railway CF Bucharest - Braşov to: (1). Use a reserve of free land representing 12 % of the total surface of the city within the built up area (greenfield development) and (2). Ensuring the connection of Apostol neighborhood, with the existing economic and social functions of the city.
2. The execution of the road belt on the route Southern Train Station - Western Train Station - Northern Train Station -Râfov neighborhood - Southern Train Station, accompanied by ecology and regulation works of Dâmbu river to: (1). Increase the city accessibility from TEN IV and IX corridors (2). Increase the mobility by connecting this belt to the Southern, Western and Northern Train Stations as well as of the Southern bus terminal. (3). Reduce the transit traffic in the central area of the city, with positive effects by reducing the traffic jam and the air and sound pollution.
3. Closing of the public transport on fixed line (tram) on the route Southern Train Station - Western Train Station -Malu Roşu-Doja-Bălcescu-Democraţiei, with long term positive effects in the operation of a high capacity public transport system connected to Southern Train Station - Western Train Station, non-polluting and less affected by the evolution of the oil price on the international market.
4. Step by step introduction on the real estate market of the land in the southern area of the city, by cleaning the polluted sites and preparing them for non polluting, economic functions, with high economic value, such as industrial, IT&C and logistic regional parks.
6. VIP Projects
Integrated Projects: the City Gates
The Eastern Gate:
1. Rehabilitation of Bereasca neighborhood
Develop the ecological axis of Dâmbu river by ecologic, and regulation works, accompanied by the development/rehabilitation program of the public utilities infrastructure, water supply, sewerage, roads, green areas and of the social and education infrastructure.
2. Rehabilitation of Râfov neighborhood
Increase the quality of life through the rehabilitation of basic urban infrastructure, in the fields of water supply, sewerage, roads, education, supported by the program of insuring the access of the neighborhood inhabitants to their working places, and the public services of Ploieşti, through building a traffic infrastructure over Southern Poieşti -Buzău railway.
Integrate the areas in the western and southern part of Bucharest - Braşov railway, in the urban fabric of the city, by infrastructure works, roads and public transport, supported by construction and rehabilitation works of the public utilities, water, sewerage, and roads, both for increasing the life quality of the residents in Apostol neighborhood, and for developing industrial parks with mix of economic activities.
Develop the urban axis Southern Train Station - Central Area through the rehabilitation of the public domain, and highlight the university character of the city, by locating a university campus R&D and related services infrastructure.